Shape Area Calculator
Using This Calculator
This calculator can be used to quickly figure the area of a triangle, square, rectangle, circle, sphere, pentagon, hexagon, octogon, cube, or cylinder.
For 2 dimensional shapes it calculates the area of the shape & for 3 dimensional shapes it calculates their surface area.
The formulas for each regular shape are shown below.
triangle area = base lenght * height / 2
square area = length2
rectangle area = length * width
circle area = π * Radius2
sphere surface area = 4π * Radius2
- regular pentagon (without apothem): side2 * 1/4* √(5 (5+2 √5))
- regular pentagon (where apothem is known): area = 5* side * apothem / 2
- apothem = 1/2 side / tan 36°
hexagon area = side length2 * 3 √3 / 2
octagon area = 2(1+ √ 2) * side length2
cube surface area = 6 * length2
cylinder surface area = 2 π * height * Radius+ 2 π * Radius2
Incircle, Circumcircle, Radius & Apothem
- Regular Polygon: A polygon with n sides where all sides have equal lengths.
- Radius: Line which connects the center of a polygot to one of its verticies.
- Circumcircle: Circle which fits outside a polygon and connects all verticies. The radius of this circle is the same as the radius of the poligon.
- Incircle: Circle which fits inside a polygon and connects the midpoint of each side.
- Apothem: Line connecting the midpoint of a polygon's side to its center.
- Perimeter: The distance around a polygon. For regular polygons with a fixed number of sides this is found by multiplying the length of a side by how many sides the polygon has.
- Area: The amount of space inside the boundary of flat 2-dimensional shapes or the surface of a solid 3-dimensional object.