Ideal & Adjusted Body Weight
Enter your gender, height and weight then click calculate to find your estimated IBW and ABW.
More Helpful Weight-Related Calculation Tools
- weight loss goal - see how long it will take you to reach your ideal weight
- calorie burn rate - see how many calories you burn doing various activities
For simplicity sake, we use the following formulas, but there are a number of different formulas used to calculate ideal body weight.
- MEN: IBW (kgs) = 22 x (height in meters)2
- WOMEN: IBW (kgs) = 22 x (height in meters - 10cm)2
A person is considered obese if they weigh 30% above their ideal body weight.
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends both men and women to keep their BMI between 18.5 to 25.
Adjusted body weight is used for drug dosing measurements.
Adjusted body weight = IBW + 0.4 * ( actual weight - IBW)
- 1 Pound = 0.4536 Kilogram
- 1 Inch = 2.54 Centimeters
G. J. Hamwi's Formula from 1964
- men: 48.0 kg + 2.7 kg per inch over 5 feet
- women: 45.5 kg + 2.2 kg per inch over 5 feet
B. J. Devine's Formula from 1974
- men: 50.0 kg + 2.3 kg per inch over 5 feet
- women: 45.5 kg + 2.3 kg per inch over 5 feet
J. D. Robinson's Formula from 1983
- men: 52 kg + 1.9 kg per inch over 5 feet
- women: 49 kg + 1.7 kg per inch over 5 feet
D. R. Miller's Formula from 1983
- men: 56.2 kg + 1.41 kg per inch over 5 feet
- women: 53.1 kg + 1.36 kg per inch over 5 fee